Building a Movement of Digital Change Agents for 21st Century Basic Education
Excited about the inspiring potential of Bachelor of Education students and graduates, and aware of the demand for their 21st century teaching skills in the basic education sector, Flying Cows of Jozi connects the two by employing these passionate young people to facilitate digital education projects for our clients.
The fact that they have both teaching and digital skills has already added value to work we’re doing for the Department of Basic Education, Vodacom Foundation, Cambridge University Press and ITSI. Clients refer exactly to this quality of our employees in their glowing feedback: not only can they facilitate and advise on digital tools and training, they also understand the role of a teacher when we work to integrate technology in teaching and learning.
In addition to valuable work experience we offer personal development programmes including Mindfulness to empower them to truly become the digital change agents that the basic education sector so desperately needs.
Flying Cows of Jozi is a division of Bamboo Rock, the ICT consulting, training and interim management company owned by Josine Overdevest that for the past 15 years has successfully developed and executed projects connecting people and technology, together with partners from different parts of society.
Our main clients are organisations that work in the digital education space developing and supplying resources to the (basic) education sector. This is a key area of expertise and experience which Bamboo Rock has developed over the past 15 years.
- (Digital) educational publishers who create and distribute digital learning materials and train teachers on the use of their digital publications
- Suppliers of digital education solutions (hardware and software) this includes school computer centres, learner management systems (LMS) and Virtual Reality solutions to name a few.
- Large corporates who through their Corporate Social Investment (CSI) programmes invest in implementing ICT solutions in the (basic) education sector. These solutions include teacher digital development programmes and online content platforms.
- Not-for-Profit Organisations (NPOs) in the education sector that offer digital content and training programmes incl maths & sciences support for teachers and learners.
Flying Cows of Jozi assists these organisations with the proofreading, editing & development of digital education content, the design & delivery of digital skills training as well as the implementation & support of school computer centres.
We find that our clients are excited by the skills and knowledge of the Flying Cows of Jozi and enjoy the energy and fun they bring.
“Congratulate the team on the excellent work done. We are incredibly impressed” – Cambridge University Press
“I wish the Flying Cows could work with us in the ICT centres” – Department of Basic Education District Teacher Development Centre Manager
Flying Cows of Jozi employs 4th year and Honours Bachelor of Education students who specialise in ICT in Education in addition to their various other majors that include the STEM-subjects, English, isiZulu and Business Studies. Working on Flying Cows of Jozi projects, the students earn a fair hourly rate which contributes to their study and living expenses.
To build confidence and a sense of agency in their pivotal roles in 21st century basic education, Flying Cows of Jozi offers professional and personal development programmes. These develop the four types of intelligence, mind, heart, soul & body, that are needed in the Fourth Industrial Revolution as identified by World Economic Forum Chairman Klaus Schwab in his book on the subject.
Some of the programmes on offer:
- Be Here Now – Flying Cow!: a 6-month Mindfulness programme offered by Lucy Draper – Clarke who for her PhD researched the use of mindfulness training in Teacher Education, particularly in its ability to alleviate stress and its potential to improve teachers’ presence in the classroom. The Be Here Now – Flying Cow! programme includes group sessions and use of mindfulness apps.
- Let’s Mooove!: Nia workshops offered by a certified Nia teacher. Nia combines martial arts, dance arts and healing arts, such as yoga and Alexander Technique. It’s an hour of movement set to inspiring music and develops flexibility, agility, mobility, stability and strength.
“Being employed by Flying Cows of Jozi means my ideas are heard and respected and I’m allowed to build them with the guidance of your experience”.